Skinny Ms. Barbecue Sauce
Yields: 2 cups
Author: Skinny Ms
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (use white balsamic vinegar for gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
In a medium sauce pan add canola oil, turn to medium-low heat and sauté onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.