Sweet Chestnut Buds
- Lymph drainage/lymph circulation (lower extremities of the body)
- Venous drainage (congestion, back up of flow; spasms, usually secondary to congestion)
- Food tree above all, with multiple uses, Castanea vesca is used not only for its buds but also, and chiefly, for its seeds, often confused with Horse chestnuts.
- Other parts of the tree are used, such as the leaves (fodder, baths, expectorant), catkins (antidiarrheal), bark (astringent), honey (cough, lungs), wood (parquet floor, framework, barrel, furniture, stakes, and various utensils), flower (floral elixir of Dr. Bach) and the fruit shell (paint).
- Gemmotherapy uses Castanea vesca principally for its affinity for the circulatory system (venous and lymphatic), mainly of the lower limbs.
- Castanea vesca fights against autointoxication of the body and spasmodic phenomena.
- Indicated in trophic cutaneous disturbances, oedema, varicosities and varices, venous flow disturbances due to contraceptives, hydrolipexia. Lymphatic stasis as in lymphoedema post mastectomy, capillary fragility.
- Great drainer of the venous system, the bud of Castanea vesca is indicated in congestive phenomenas, such as varicosities and circulatory stasis in general. It is a remedy of varicose ulcers, which it reabsorbs while eliminating the periulcerous erythema.
- Due to its action on the lymphatic system, Castanea vesca acts in depth on oedemas (which do not always depend on the kidneys), cellulitis, the feeling of heaviness in the extremities.
Consider in combination with
- Sorbus domestica and Aesculus hippocastanum, varicose veins and hemorrhoids
- Pinus montana, for liver, lymph, joint drainage
- Vaccinium myrtillus, capillary fragility
- Sorbus domestica and Betula sp., for cellulite
- Vaccinium vitis-idaea and Sorbus domestica, circulation issues during menopause
- Sorbus domestica and Citrus limonum, varicose veins
- Betula sp. (mix of alba and verrucosa), lymphoedema
HerbalGem gemmo complexes that contain Castanea vesca
- G5 CEL-GEM (anti-cellulite complex)
- G17 VEN-GEM (venous complex)
- G21 CELLUSAP (fresh birch sap enriched with buds – for cellulite)
- G29 VENASAP (fresh birch sap enriched with buds – vascular drainer)