- Cardiac symptoms and conditions
- Psychological emotional heart issues
- Traditionally used for heart problems, Crataegus oxyacantha serves as the perfect example of how a bud can incorporate all the properties of the whole plant. It possesses both the calming properties of the flowers (cardiac rhythm, tension) and the tonic influence of the fruit on the heart muscle.
- The macerate has a positive inotropic and chronotropic action. Detoxifies the heart & reinforces the contractibility of the heart. A sedative for the central nervous system. The actions are predominantly at the repolarisation phase of the heartbeat normalising the S-T space. The cardiac remedy by excellence, cardiotonic by systolic fortification, slowing down the heart rate, coronarian vasodilatator, mild hypotensor, sympathetic regulator, antispasmodic. Antithrombotic (dissolves plaque). It also has hormonal, digestive and pulmonary properties.
- It intervenes in any degenerative disease leading to tissue sclerosis.
- Cardiovascular system: at the circulatory level Crataegus oxyacantha bud has an arterial antisclerotic action and works as a heart drainer. Great remedy for functional arrhythmias (distressing extrasystoles, tachycardias), cardiac erythrism, heart failure, precordial pain, sequelae after infarction. Because of its bi-polar activity, it is a blood pressure regulator (hypertension / hypotension).
- In myocardium insufficiencies, Crataegus oxyacantha reinforces the contractile force of the heart. It is also indicated in the late effects of infarction, (angina pectoris), tired heart, precordial anxiety (useful as a cardiac sedative).
- Nervous system: Crataegus oxyacantha bud is a sedative of the central nervous system. Therefore it acts as an anxiolytic, having sympathicolytic properties while balancing the vago-sympathetic nerve. Therefore, it plays a role in the treatment of existential depression and insomnia.
- Endocrine system: Hyperthyroidism (cardiac symptoms).
- Digestive system: Helps to regulate compulsive eating trends leading to obesity.
- Respiratory system: It calms non-allergic dyspnea of intrinsic origin.
- Other: Obesity by regulation of the nervous system.
Consider in combination with:
- Alnus glutinosa, for cognitive function, Alzheimer’s
- Tilia tomentosa, for neurovegetative dystonia (ANS related)
- Cornus sanguinea, for angina or predisposition to MI
- Olea europaea, for hypertension and hyperlipidemia
- Viburnum lantana, for asthma
- Tilia tomentosa and Ficus carica, for bulimia
- Alnus glutinosa, for sequel of MI
- Zea mays or Juniperus communis, CHF (chronic heart failure)
- Drug interactions: Digitalis: Reinforces the action of Digitalis.
- Use with caution when on cardiac medication, especially Digitalis/Digoxin.
- Sympathomimetics: Antagonizes and may increase depression of the central nervous system and hypotension when used simultaneously with anticonvulsants, antihistamines, antipsychotics, benzodiazepine and anti-tricyclic antidepressants, therefore start with low doses and increase progressively until the desired therapeutic level is attained all the while being sure to closely monitor the patient.
- ECG: Stop the Crataegus 3 days prior to an ECG (the ECG will appear normal while a problem may be masked by the action of this bud) angina, arrhythmia, tachycardia.
HerbalGem gemmo complex that contains Crataegus oxyacantha:
- G4 COR-GEM (circulation & healthy blood pressure complex)
- G26 FEM50+GEM (woman 50+ complex)
Gemmotherapy is a branch of phytotherapy that uses buds and young shoots of trees and shrubs. Gathered in the spring at a key stage of their natural growth cycle, buds and young shoots are freshly handpicked and put in maceration in a solution of water, alcohol and glycerin to extract all their active principles.
Ingredients | Each drop contains:
Crataegus oxyacantha* …………………………..0.05 ml
(Hawthorn buds) (extract 1:20, QCE 2.5 mg)
Non-medicinal ingredients: glycerin* (vegetal), alcohol*, purified water.
*Organic certification by Certisys-BE1
Adults and children > 12 years take 5-15 drops daily, between meals, pure or diluted in water, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- Consult a healthcare practitioner if symptoms persist or worsen.
- Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding unless directed by a healthcare practitioner.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not use if safety seal is broken.
- Keep in a cool, dry place.