Real Fruit Protein Bars
1 cup packed dried fruit (apricots, cranberries, cherries, figs)
1 cup warm water
1 ½ cups old fashioned or quick cooking rolled oats
1 cup lightly packed, all natural, sweetened vanilla whey protein powder
3 tbsp. low fat milk
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest or orange zest (optional)
- Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with plastic wrap and spray non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the fruit and warm water in a small bowl. Let stand 5-10 minutes until the fruit is soft (time will vary according to the dryness of the fruit). Drain and pat dry with paper towels
- Meanwhile, place the oats in a food processor and process into a fine powder. Add the drained fruit, protein powder, milk and lemon zest, if using. Process, using on/off pulses, until the fruit is finely chopped and blended and the mixture begins to stick together and clump on the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Place a piece of parchment paper, wax paper or plastic wrap (coated with non-stick spray) atop the bar mixture and use it to spread and flatten the mixture evenly in the pan; leave the paper or plastic wrap to cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using the liner, lift the mixture from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Uncover and cut into 6 bars
Tightly wrap the bars individually in plastic wrap
Room temp- 2 days
Fridge- 1 week
Freezer 3 months in airtight container; thaw 1 hour