Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
- 3 cups flour, spooned in
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar, for rolling (optional)
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt
- In a large bowl beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg, and vanilla – beat until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture until well combined. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours – or ideally, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Scoop the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on parchment baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until set.
- Cool before sandwiching with frosting.
Simple Butter Frosting:
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- ½ to 1 Tbsp. milk or cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Beat the butter with half a cup of the icing sugar.
- Stir in ½ Tbsp. of the cream and the vanilla.
- Add remaining icing sugar and beat until smooth, adding additional milk if required.