Fresh Spring Rolls
- 1 package spring roll rice wrappers , found in the Asian foods section at the grocery store
- 1 package vermicelli rice noodles , found in the Asian foods section at the grocery store
- 2 mangos , peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 1 large carrot , peeled and shredded or sliced into thin strips
- 1 large English cucumber , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound small, cooked shrimp , deveined, tails removed, or substitute chicken
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
For the peanut sauce:
- 3/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup peanut butter , smooth or crunchy
- 1/2 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- Cook vermicelli noodles in boiling water, for just a few minutes, according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Gather all topping ingredients together, including chopped veggies, herbs, cooked shrimp.
- Add about 1 inch of water to a large, deep dish, or pie pan. Place one rice wrapper into the water and let soak for just 10-15 seconds. It should still feel pretty firm as you remove it and lay it on your counter or plate.
- (It will soften up as you add the filling ingredients, but If you let it soak for too long it will get too soft and will tear when you roll it up.)
- Layer 1-2 slices of each veggie, a few shrimp, a few leaves of each herb and a pinch of noodles on the ⅓ of the spring roll that is closest to you.
- Fold the sides of the spring roll in over the ingredients. Then pull the side closest to you up and over the ingredients, sealing everything together tightly, and rolling it up like a burrito.
For the peanut sauce:
Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.
Other filling ingredient ideas:
- bean sprouts
- sliced avocado
- cooked, chopped chicken
- romaine lettuce leaf
- sliced bell peppers
Storing: The rolls taste best the day they are made, but they can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Wrap each roll individually in plastic wrap (to keep the wrapper soft and to keep them from sticking together) and store in an air-tight container in the fridge.