Clean Eating Beef Quinoa Stew
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 lbs eye of round beef roast, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 tsp garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup dill or parsley, chopped
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and carrots, cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium – high heat and add beef, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, stirring as necessary. If your meat releases a lot of juices and water, just increase heat and let it cook off. Watch closely not to burn.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chicken stock and cornstarch, pour over meat. Add previously cooked onion and carrots, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes. In the meanwhile, cook quinoa as per package instructions.
- When meat is ready, add garlic powder or freshly crushed garlic, and stir. This adds a depth of flavor. Discard bay leaves and peppercorns. Add cooked quinoa, peas and fresh herbs, gently stir and serve warm.
- Storage Instructions: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months.